The Story of Little Black Sambo - Helen Bannerman, Christopher Bing Gorgeous illustrations. Historical Racist Connotation.

This book tries to "correct" the damage done by the American racist version of Little Black Sambo. I learned from the back notes the whole historical aspect and how society (with the help of a lot of people before my time) helped turn a beautiful oral tale into a racial representation of lazy, mixed, African Americans. I grew up with the knowledge of how racist Little Black Sambo was, and how during my mom/dad's time (60s) we fought against that image. I remember them taking me to the DuSable Museum in Chicago to show me the Little Black Sambo collection, and just how that use to "define" us to the mainstream American world. Christopher Bing does the story justice as he makes the illustrations just "pop" out from the text and beautiful illustrate the text...and even though I'm sure it has its uses in a private collection, and public collection, I'm not sure I'd want to open a can of worms to use as a "story-time." I just think the history of it goes back to deep, and I'm not sure how my parents would've reacted to taking this book home...maybe a new generation would be different, but I'm not sure I'd want my kids at a young age to know that ugly history. I'm sure a lot of people have a disconnect towards it or feel that it "didn't change the way they viewed people, or that they were ignorant to the racist undertones growing up..." Yet...my upbringing was a lot different. I'm struggling at wondering if I think this would be a perfect "older" child gateway book to talk about racism or the history of race in America. It's weird because of how I was raised...I have such mixed feelings on this book. :)