Two Boys Kissing - David Levithan I was not sure how I felt as the book began. The narrators were a bit off-beat for me, and I did not know how to respond as I'm imagining this chorus of gay men watching these lives unfold. It was very different than even Death's perspective in The Book Thief----I can't put my finger on it---but it took a minute to put yourself in the spirit world. If anyone can understand that? I felt like I was going on some like spirit quest----and I don't mean that in condescending nature---it's just that I was dropped RIGHT in there with the narrators----where I felt Death's perspective he gave a little bit more of a personified characteristics to help identify.

Does that sound like crazy talk?

senseless

Yet, the more I read----the more I found myself fascinated as these narrators make astute everyday observations and ask intense questions to this "new" generation growing up after them. It surprised me because I felt that it should be cliched. I mean this is YA angst at its finest---but I BOUGHT every word for it, hook, line, & sinker. I was waiting to get bored at all the "warnings" that usually happen when you read these books---even still, I found it interesting that you could easily connect with characters (and even though I wasn't sure they were fleshed out enough) and their respective obstacles that they had to overcome.

David Levithan is always a compelling writer----I think what hit me close to home was Cooper's story. Having lived a struggle (attempted suicide) like that with a close love one----seeing a brief glimpse into their mental process and how it effects them emotionally and from their decisions...was a bit traumatic for me. That's why I stay awaaaayyyy from reading too much YA realistic fiction, lol!

traumatized

The book told accurate straight-forward opposing actions, reactions, and viewpoints from society, parents, peers. I feel this is a great fast read ESPECIALLY for reluctant/at-risk readers who are dealing with the same problems. I LOVED the fact that minorities were represented and from working at a high school my heart went out to kids struggling with "coming-out" in their community. I think this hits hard and fast of perspectives of "coming-out" stories and capture it in a way teens will be interested in reading. Usually, I get worried when books highlight specific technology as you wonder if this book could be dated after 10+ years...but I'm actually thinking this could be a relevant book especially as it captures the thought (as he wrote in his author's note) about what the different generations perception and ability to "face the world."

Again, Jenna made me want to read this book from her review. I think I would love to talk it out especially from the narrator's perspective. I'm still confused about how I would rate this book:

If you ask me how I would rate it----I will give you this look:

confused

While I try to find someone---to help me figure it out!

reallyconfused