Krazy and Ignatz, 1935-1936: A Wild Warmth of Chromatic Gravy - George Herriman, Chris Ware I really really liked the collection of historical forwards than most of the actual comic material. The forwards captivated me because it delves into the controversial topic of Herriman's race. Herriman was described as "colored" on his original birth certificate and defined as parent's of a "mulatto" which back in the 1930s could have meant anything from African-American to any other indigenous ethnic mix...Scholars have argued that at the time---this could have even covered labeling dark skinned European immigrants. Love just how deep and complicated America can get at times.

I find it horrifically fascinating that as he apparently had this internal struggle of dealing with "passing" he had part in stereotyping African Americans. I know it was the conformist thing to do---especially when everybody's doing it---- yet he almost had this juxtaposition effect as he seemed to want to understand the racial complexities in America. So I'm torn between saying

racist

and dismissing these comics completely----and sympathizing with a man who was taught to be ashamed of his ancestry and "hate" people of color. I respect him for trying to create a "peaceful society on paper" it still doesn't negate the fact of the subliminal messages of race he helped perpetrate of the times.

This was my favorite out of the collection because it evoked all those strong emotions in me:

alltheemotions